“The secret of the wealthy is time management.” -Brian Tracey, author and speaker
Well, if that’s the truth I need to hurry up and get my stuff together, because I’m currently time management challenged. I struggle with finding a routine but, with a full time job, small business and four children chaos is the norm and routines get interrupted frequently. I honestly haven’t found a routine that has worked 100% and stuck. I can only pray that the day will come in the near future.
And, what is the 80/20 rule? Let’s get some background on this. 80-20 rule: States that 80% of your revenue will come from the top 20% of your customers. Conversely, 20% of your results consume 80% of your time. Your numbers may vary from this rule, but principle holds true: all parts of your business are not equally profitable. Time spent getting new customers, managing employees, etc. is “overhead.” These are necessary but nevertheless “non-billable” pursuits. The things you do that you are actually paid for probably consume a smaller proportion of your time. Information from The Little Book of Business Wisdom By: Brian Banashak
Hmmm! Very interesting. Well, they say never mix business with pleasure but, I’m feeling a bit daring tonight. So,let’s explore the 80/20 Rule for Relationships.
Taken from: http://akssara.blogspot.com/2008/10/do-not-look-back-and-ask-why-look.html
Interesting quote from the movie ‘Why did I get married?’
In Tyler Perry’s Why Did I Get Married, the 80/20 rule was discussed, and this is what was said. In most cases, especially in relationships, you will only get 80% of what you NEED and you will hardly get the other 20% that you WANT in your relationship. There is always another person (man or women) that you will meet and that will offer you the other 20% which is lacking in your relationship that you WANT And believe me, 20% looks really good when you are not getting it at all in your current relationship. But the problem is that you will always be tempted to leave that good 80% that you know you have, thinking that you will get something better with the other 20% that you WANT But as reality has proven, in most cases, you will always end up with having the 20% that you WANT and loosing the 80% that you really NEED and that you already had. Be careful in deciding between what you WANT and NEED in your life.
Adultery happens when you start looking for what you don’t have. ‘Wow, this girl in my office is a real looker. But it’s not her Wynona Rider features that got me. I’m crazy about her because she’s also understanding, intelligent, tender – so many things that my spouse is not, somewhere along the way, you’ll find a woman or a man who will be more charming or sensitive. More alluring. More thoughtful. Richer. Have greater appeal. And you will find a woman or man who will need you and pursue you and go loco over you more than your spouse ever did.Because no wife or husband is perfect. Because a spouse will only have 80% of what you’re looking for. So adultery takes place when a husband or wife looks for the missing 20%. Let’s say your wife is melancholic by nature.You may find yourself drawn to the pretty clerk who has a cherry laugh no matter what she says: ‘I broke my arm yesterday, Hahahaha . . ..’Or because your wife is a homebody in slippers and pajamas, smelling of garlic and fish oil, you may fall for a fresh-smelling young sales representative that visits your office in a sharp black blazer, high heels, and a red pencil-cut skirt Or because your husband is the quiet type, your heart may skip a beat when you meet an old college flame who has the makings of a talk show host.But wait! That’s only 20% of what you don’t have.Don’t throw away the 80% that you already have!That’s not all. Add to your spouse’s 80% the 100% that represents all the years that you have been with each other. The storms you have weathered together. The unforgettable moments of sadness and joy as a couple. The many adjustments you have made to love the other. The wealth of memories that you’ve accumulated as lovers.Adultery happens when you start looking for what you don’t have.But faithfulness happens when you start thanking God for what you already have.But I’m not just talking about marriage.I’m talking about life!About your jobs.About your friends.About your children.About your lifestyles.Are you like the economy airline passenger that perennially peeks through the door of the first class cabin, obsessed with what he’s missing? ‘They have got more leg room! Oh my, their food is served in porcelain! Wow, their seats recline at an 80% angle and they’ve got personal videos!’I guarantee you’ll be miserable for the entire trip! Don’t live your life like that. Forget about what the world says is first class. Do you know that there are many first class passengers who are miserable in first class — because they are not riding in a private Lear Jet?The main message???If you start appreciating what you have right now, wherever you are, you are first class!
I think everyone in relationships need to take heed to this advice. The grass always looks greener on the other side then you get there and notice it’s a bunch of crap!
Isn’t it funny how 20% of your customers from a business can bring in 80% of your revenue, which is great! Then 20% of what you believe you are missing in your relationship, you decide to go out and get that elsewhere causing you to lose the 80% of what you had. This is relationship suicide. Most situations like these probably jumped in the sack with the lousy 20% and ended up losing the 80% significant other for a 20% fling. Then the guilt sets in. How disturbing! So really, is that 20% that you don’t have really worth losing the 80% you do have?
I could apply this mathematical equation to many different scenarios and come out with tons of different answers. It completely blows my mind!