- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, chopped coarsely
- 1 2/3 cup good quality dark chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 1/3 heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped roasted almonds or hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red candied or glazed cherries
- 1/2 cup finely chopped golden raisins
- 2/3 cup finely chopped dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon brandy or rum (optional)
- 1 cup white chocolate sprinkled and
decorations to top the truffles
Place butter and chocolate in a medium sized microwave safe bowl. Microwave on medium power for 1 minute. Stir then continue to microwave on medium power at 30 second intervals. Continue until chocolate has just melted.
Add the cream and the sugar. Mix thoroughly until combined and smooth. Stir in almonds, cherries, golden raisins, dark chocolate and brandy. Cover and chill until thick enough to roll.
Shape a heaped teaspoonful of the truffle mix into a ball. Smooth by rolling between the palm of your hands. This needs to be done quickly otherwise the heat of your hands will melt the truffles. Place the truffles in paper cases, if desired.
Melt the white chocolate. Either use a small spoon or pipe the chocolate on the tops so that it comes down the sides like custard. Decorate the tops before the chocolate sets. Store covered in the refrigerator.
Makes 24 generous sized chocolate truffles.
Appeared in print in The Independent Weekly 12/9/09