Lately I’ve been experiencing an increase of e-newsletters in my inbox that I didn’t subscribe to. There are a few that I have a good idea how my email address was accessed but, I’ve listed a few reasons below why I’ll unsubscribe from a newsletter email list. Sadly, I’ve experienced every single scenario on the list. Here Goes! I’ll unsubscribe from a e-newsletter…
1. If I didn’t opt in. I like choices. Give me the option to see what your content is like and allow me to make my own decision to join rather than add me automatically to your newsletter email list.
Ex: Nothing is more annoying than attending an event or entering a contest and you start to receive solicitation newsletters from all the vendors that had booths at the event or continuous newsletters after you’ve entered a simple contest where they made your email address a mandatory entry. Argh!
3. The content isn’t relevant to me or It’s not a topic that I’d expect or sign up for.
4. If it sounds like a pushy sales person always using a sales pitch to sell something. That can also be pretty annoying.
5. I don’t want to read anything offensive. I shy away from controversial issues and rarely discuss anything of that nature publicly on my blog or social media networks.
6. If the newsletter is not short, sweet and to the point! I’m so busy that I can’t do any long winded newsletters. I need to be able to get to the subject matter in the first few sentences.
7. The newsletter is too frequent. I can’t read a daily newsletter. Weekly & Bi Weekly is great, some people even do monthly newsletters. It gives me something to look forward to.
8. If the newsletter hasn’t captivated my attention ,I’ve lost interest or the content is boring. I’ll unsubscribe!
9. Duplicate newsletters! I’ve actually had this happen on a few occasions. I only need one copy in my inbox.
10. Grammatical Errors! I don’t think I need to say much else…
What are some reasons that you may unsubscribe from a newsletter?