Here are ten reasons I personally won’t follow a Instagram account. I know everyone has their checklist of what criteria is necessary before you make a social media connection and they can be similar across all channels. If you can think of any additional reasons, feel free to add to the list. Also share some of your Instagram best practices. #InstagramFail
1. There is no profile picture on the Instagram account. Instagram is a photo and video sharing online/mobile network. It’s kind of backwards to share photos but, there is no photo of the Instagram account owner especially when sharing moments of their thoughts or moments in life.
2. No Biography is written to share some insight about the account owner. I personally will only follow someone without a bio if I personally know them or I can see they have a niche and link to a blog or website.
3. There is no link to a blog or website. I know everyone on Instagram isn’t a blogger or entrepreneur. Instagram is another form of networking for many entrepreneurs and bloggers. It’s also a way to share your business and stories if you post a link to your page.
4. No Pictures! It’s pointless to start an Instagram account if you aren’t going to use it the way you should. You are guaranteed to NOT get a bunch of followers if you don’t have pictures posted on your Instagram account.
5. Inconsistency! If I see an account that I’d like to follow but they haven’t posted in 6 weeks or more, I keep scrolling! I personally try to post at least 2-3 times daily. If not, I try to get one picture posted per day.
6. Private Accounts. I’ll usually request to follow a private account if I’m in a follow link up and they have participated in the link up. I’ll also only follow family or friends I know personally. Other than that I am not interested in requesting to follow private accounts. My profile is public and I only share what I want on it.
7. If there are 50 million Selfies on an Instagram account, I probably won’t follow! If there is a good cause behind it or some sort of niche/movement then I may consider but, right now it’s a No No! I rarely take selfies and when I do it’s for a cause or to showcase a product.
8. If the bio is nothing but emojis, I usually think it’s a younger Instagram user and that’s NOT my demographic. There are some accounts where adults have emojis to express who they are in their bio but, that’s just too much work for me to decipher. Lol!
9. Posting pictures without a description. I think it’s great when Instagram users share a description of what they are posting. If there are travel Instagrammers that post pictures of scenery around the world, people want to know what you are sharing. “Add a Picture Description”
10. Ghost Followers. Instagram accounts that like and comment on your photos but, they don’t follow you OR poor follow to following ratio! I always look at a Instagram Users Follow to Following ratio before I follow an account. I ask myself if they have 25K followers but, are following 500 what’s the probability I’ll get a follow back? I usually keep scrolling. *Exception (If I’m in a Instagram follow link up)
Bonus: It’s great to engage in person at conferences or networking events and connect with people you meet on Instagram. It’s so much better when there is a personal connection. In addition, there are great apps like crowdfire, Simply Measured, InstaFollow and Union Metrics to help you with your followers and instagram metrics.