Disclosure: I received a complimentary Chem-Dry Spring Cleaning Kit valued over $40.00. All opinions expressed are solely my own.
I suffer from year round allergies and my husband and four children suffer from seasonal allergies during the Spring. I don’t need to wait for the Spring season to approach to deal with the itchy eyes, scratchy throat, sinus infections, uncontrollable sneezing and asthma flare ups. It just gets worst for me during the Spring season so I am usually trying to clean frequently, especially dust in an effort to keep our allergy symptoms to a minimum. I make it a point to do a thorough Spring Cleaning for this very reason. I stay on top of it during the Spring months so we can keep tracking pollen into the house and it getting EVERYWHERE at a minimum! I was excited to be able to participate in this opportunity with Chem-Dry to share cleaning tips to help survive the Spring season. Just to give you a little background on Chem-Dry, it was founded in 1977 and is the world’s leading carpet and upholstery cleaning service with a network of more than 3,500 carpet cleaning locations in 47 countries, serving over 10,000 homes a day worldwide. Unlike other carpet and upholstery cleaning services today, Chem-Dry uses proprietary hot carbonating extraction cleaning process that harnesses the power of millions of microscopic bubbles to deliver a deeper clean, faster-drying carpets and overall healthier home. The brand’s primary cleaning solution , The Natural, is green-certified and doesn’t contain any soaps, detergents or phosphates, making it safe and non-toxic for kids and pets.
Chem-Dry uses 80 percent less water than typical steam cleaning, so carpets dry in one to two hours instead of one to two days and it’s healthier for the home, since it doesn’t carry the same risk as steam cleaners who use an excessive amount of water that can soak through to the carpet backing and create a breeding ground for mold and mildew. From March 1 through April 3, 2015, people are encouraged to visit Chem-Dry’s Facebook Page and share how important a professional carpet and upholstery cleaning would be to creating a healthier home for them and their family this Spring for a chance to win a free carpet and upholstery cleaning package valued at $500. Individuals can enter the contest by visiting the “Cleaning Giveaway” tab on Chem-Dry’s Facebook Page and filling out the entry form. **Available to US Residents who are 18 years of age or older. No purchase necessary to enter or win the contest.** For more information about Chem-Dry or to find a local operator and request a free quote, visit www.chemdry.com. Bill Zinke, VP of Marketing for Chem-Dry said… “One of the easiest and smartest ways for families to improve indoor air quality and reduce allergy-related symptoms is through a deep cleaning of their carpets and upholstered furniture with a safe and effective process.” Fact: Asthma and allergies strike 1 out of 5 Americans. (Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America)
Did you know?!?! Each year, allergies account for more than 17 million outpatient office visits, primarily in the Spring and Fall; seasonal allergies account for more than half of all allergy visits. There are so many things in our home to worry about from dirt/pollen tracked in from outside, dust mites and pet dander just to name a few. So what steps can we take to help lessen our triggers that cause these allergic reactions? Did I mention I’m allergic to EVERYTHING!
– Use door mats or area rugs in entry ways and high traffic areas. My front door enters right into my living area which is a very high traffic area. I do have a door mat and in addition I ask that everyone take their shoes off right after they enter my home. The shoes can stay on a tray I have by the front door.
– Keep carpets and rugs clean. Saturday is our regular cleaning day, so we vacuum every weekend to keep our carpet looking fresh and clean and also removing all the dirt and bacteria that may have made it into our home. I also try to get it professionally cleaned annually.
– Don’t forget about your upholstered furniture. I use a dust and lint roller to go over my couch and then I vacuum my couch! It gets dusty and nasty just like everything else. I frequently have guests in the living area and it’s also a family hangout spot so it needs to stay clean.
– Upgrade your vacuum. Use a vacuum with a HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter. I own a Kirby and it has HEPA filtration. I needed a reliable and durable vacuum to last.
– Allergy Proof your bed. I wash my bed linens on a weekly basis. It’s just a habit and I do laundry every weekend so it fits into my weekend cleaning schedule.
– Regularly wipe down counter tops. This is done in my house on a regular basis. I’ll even pull out the Clorox Wipes and go over the counter tops.
– Keep pets clean. I don’t have any pets because I am allergic to them (dander and fur) however, I’m working on getting a sphynx in my life. Maybe I won’t have a reaction because they are somewhat hairless cats. **fingers crossed**
– Change Heating & Air Conditioning Filters. I do this every other month and if I feel I need to do it sooner I will replace it immediately.
– Sanitize frequently touched surfaces at home. I have a habit of spraying Lysol on everything from door knobs, toilet handles, sink faucets, light switches and stairwell banister. AND… don’t let anyone be sick!!!!! I do it even more then. Lol!
– Shut Windows. My windows usually stay closed year round due to my allergies. I have central heat and air and take full advantage of it. I can’t open the windows in the Spring because the pollen is horrible and will get on everything. I also wipe down my blinds frequently to keep them dust free and clean.
– Control your household temperature. It’s recommended to set the thermostat below 70 degrees and maintain a humidity level below 50% in an effort to minimize mites surviving in cool conditions. Mites thrive in warm humid conditions.
I hope that some of these tips shared come in handy this Spring! Visit the Chem-Dry website for more information. Head over to the Chem-Dry Facebook page and enter the “Spring into a Healthier Home” Contest. What do you do to minimize dust and pollen in your home?