Sometimes we need to go back to the basics to get a better understanding of the way something works to be truly successful. In social Media it’s pretty clear that everyone is there to be social, engage and share information. People use Social Media for different reasons and whatever the reason is, I think you still need to present yourself fully to your followers. What does Social Media mean? Well here’s the definition…
Social Media – websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking.
I’ve recently been working on growing my social media presence and followers since recently re-branding and there are things that I am actively working on daily to ensure that I am being strategic in my branding process. While I’ve been looking to follow new people and engage online I’ve seen some things that I question especially because they are being represented as a professional blogger or business. So below I’m sharing some MUST HAVES on your social media profile (no matter what platform) to help grow and engage your audience. I’m also giving you some tips along the way!
1. PLEASE put a profile picture on your account. At this point if you’d like to use your logo vs. a personal picture go right ahead. It’s better than an egg or silhouette of the social media networks profile. A personal photo would be best especially if you plan on networking in person. Tip: Use the same photograph across all of your social media channels.
2. ADD a description in your bio to let people know a little bit about yourself. It’s a great place to add your interests and let people with like minds know about them. I’m sure they’ll follow you to keep up with your updated statuses and engage with you. Social Media Connection!
3. If you are a blogger or business it is IMPERATIVE that you have your blog url or business website accessible on your social media profile. I’ve been to so many profiles where they have a great bio and tells about their blog or business with NO link! You need to have your link there! Tip: You can add a link to your LinkedIn Profile or About.me that will link to your other pages.
4. PUBLIC vs. PRIVATE accounts… If you are a blogger or a business you really shouldn’t have a private account. If you have monetized your blog or social media accounts it’s a REQUIREMENT with most blog networks to have public social media accounts where you are sharing sponsored brand content. Tip: Keep two accounts one personal and the other for your business or blog.
5. CONSISTENCY is key to online engagement and growing your audience. I personally don’t follow accounts that seem to be inactive. Also, I have my own work to do on being consistent. I don’t go weeks without posting on my social media pages. (Well, I’m still working on Periscope & Snapchat!) I really loathe video. Tip: Use Hootsuite or CoSchedule to schedule posts.
6. Hashtags are your friend! I use hashtags on every social media platform so that I am able to be searched by topic and show up in a feed of that particular interest. If you are working on a paid campaign hashtags are a tracking tool for blog networks and brands to measure reach. Tip: Use a hashtag mobile app like Tagfire or a website like all-hashtags and Top-hashtags to help you generate hashtags by keyword.
7. Content will always be KING! Be sure you are updating your accounts and sharing your blog or business content to your followers. Keep your brand voice and share quality content. You want people to return to your profile and continue to read your posts/statuses. You want to be put on their list of favorites! Tip: Create a editorial calendar along with scheduling social media posts.
8. ENGAGEMENT is a biggie! I always get annoyed when I post a question to a blogger or business and get crickets… Most of the time I want to support them and their business. That’s just a clear indication to me that maybe I need to move along. I’ll take my money elsewhere if you can’t answer a question about your own product or service! I’m just saying… It will help grow and engage your audience online. Tip: It’s beneficial to answer your followers when they post a question that can lead to a potential SALE.
9. Mentions & Tags on social forums are a clear indication that your followers trust you and want your expert opinion on certain things. If you are seen as an authority in your niche then you have a commitment to really pay attention and respond to those comments. It’s no different than text messaging, you get that notification! Take a moment and respond. It’s also just good etiquette.
10. TIMING is everything! I use a few different social media tools to help me understand the best time to post on each social media based on my audience. You have to get to know the people who are following you. When are they online, when are they most likely to engage etc. I engage mostly on Twitter so Tweriod helps me figure out the best times to post my content.
Bonus: Make sure your branding is consistent across ALL of your social media platforms. I just re-branded in January and my new name and logo are EVERYWHERE! On the Blog, Twitter, Facebook, Google +, YouTube, SelfieMark, Pinterest and Instagram. My profile picture is also the same across the board. I’m currently working on scheduling a photo shoot to update my photo but, it’s ME! You want your branding to be consistent. What else would you add to this list?